Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Life as a Reader

I stole this topic from a blogger who swiped it from another blogger.  The original blog it first appeared on was the blog Once Upon a Teacher the Fall Blog Challenge 2010.  There are many great topics that I think I will use to help jump start my writing.

My Life as a Reader

I love to read!   My earliest memories involve books.   One of the first Christmas gifts I remember is a stack of Little Golden Books.  I remember being read to nightly, going to the library on Trenholm Road and on Fort Jackson and visiting the bookmobile.

As a child some of my most favorite books were: Lyle Lyle the Crocodile, The Hungry Caterpillar, Babar, Bread and Jam for Frances, and Ferdinand the Bull.  As I grew older I began enjoying the authors Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, and Donald Sobol.  Once I hit middle school I started to read more of the tween romance books such as the Sweet Valley High series and books by the author Paula Danziger and V.C. Andrews.  High school came along and more of my reading focused on what I had to read for English class.  There were a few books I enjoyed while in high school such as A Tale of Two Cities, Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby, and Lord of the Flies.  High school was when I feel in love with a particular genre of books Southern Fiction.  Some of my all time favorite southern authors are Harper Lee, Carson McCullers, Dori Sanders, and Pat Conroy. I still enjoy reading (or re-reading these novels).  As an adult some of the authors I find myself gravitating to are Ann Rivers Siddon, Dorothea Benton Frank, Jonathan Kellerman, James Patternson, and John Grisham.  I also like searching off of the bestseller list and reading biographies and true crime novels.

Growing up I read everywhere and always put myself to bed with a good book.  As long as I was comfortable I could lose myself for hours in a book.  Now it is not as easy to read.  I have to carve out time for reading.  Much of my reading is for my job.  Some of the books I read are for professional development and others are finding books that my students will enjoy.  Recently I received a Kindle and I am finding myself having a little more time to read for pleasure.   I am also reading a lot for my own children.  I am enjoying passing onto my kids different books that I enjoyed reading as a child and discovering new authors such as Jane Yolen, David Shannon, Julia DeVillers, and Alyssa Crowne.

What is your life as a readier like?

3 comments:

  1. I can remember my mom reading winnie the pooh books to me when I was little, then reading on my own. I felt so grown up when I realized I could read to myself. One of my earliest memories of a book was A Horse Called Lightning.
    I totally remember reading Sweet Valley High books and the VC Andrews ones. High School was all about vampires and some fantasy novels. My taste runs to Fantasy and Historical Fiction but I have found several non-fiction books I enjoy.

    I love how people can have different tastes in books but share a love for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited that my oldest Maddie is discovering this same love. She can devour a book in no time and is now eyeing my Kindle...I'm in trouble :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books were the one thing my parents would let me get when we were out at a store. I remember getting to order several books everytime the Scholastic book orders came out at school. They were my sanctuary growing up. I loved Cynthia Voight and Judy Blume.
    I agree with Sheri - no matter what you love to read, it's nice to have that love of reading.
    I especially love being passed a book from a good friend and discovering a new author that I love!

    ReplyDelete