Saturday, January 7, 2012

I Now Understand Why My Mom...

Now that I am a mom there are several things I understand...

-Now I understand why she got up at 5 am willingly each day.  I always wondered why my mom got up so early each day (even holidays and weekends).  Now that I am a mom that seems to be the only quiet time I have.  I do not get up super early, but if I can be up before the kids even just 30 minutes I truly cherish the quiet time.

-Now I understand why she did used the tell me "dirt cleans my stomach."  Whenever a food item fell on the floor she would tell me "It's ok - dirt cleans your stomach."  There are times I find myself repeating the same words to my own children.  Not when we are out in public places eating, but at home, if something falls on the floor, I do not make a big deal out of it.

-Now I understand why she did not always make a big deal out of falls, scrapes, and my brothers bothering me.  By mom not coming to my rescue every time I had a minor scrape or argument with my brothers taught me that every mis-event in life need not include drama and that I could get out of many situations on my own.

-Now I understand why my mom told me not to get married until I was at least 25.  Turning 25 was a big deal for me.  When I look back on it I see it as the point when I truly became an adult.  I think not marrying before 25 was a very smart on my part because I would not have the life I have now and I truly love my life.

What do you now understand about your mom, now that you are a parent?

No comments:

Post a Comment