Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Dog Years

Recently my language arts class read the autobiography by Gary Paulsen, My Life in Dog Years, and I thought that would be a good topic for a blog.

For anyone who knows me well knows I have always had a dog in my life.  

BUSTER
This first dog in my life was Buster.  He was an outside dog who was a very good guard dog.  I remember Buster as being a ham for anyone taking pictures.  Whenever I look back at photos of him he always seemed to have some sort of pose going on.  For me I would not call him a companion dog because he was really my older brother's dog.  Buster died when I was 10 of old age.  I remember that day clearly because that was the first experience I ever had with death.

SQUIRCK
Squirck was the second dog in my life.  He was mine.  I got Squirck in kindergarten.  He was a chihuahua mix and I think I intended to name him Squirt, but when asked how to spell it I spelled Squirck.    He always slept in my room.  He was always the last one to sleep at night and would come and settle in my room after everyone else was settled in bed.  He was also the first up in the morning for his early morning patrol of the house to make sure everything was in order.  Squirck was my constant companion growing up.  He listened to me like no one else did and shared all of my joys and heartaches.  Squirck passed away the fall of my sophmore year in college and I still remember that day clearly.  It happened quietly in his bed at my parents' home.  My brother drove up to Winthrop from Columbia to tell me.  I happened to be in the lobby of my residence hall when he came in the door.  The moment I saw him I knew Squirck passed.   I will always miss my best friend.

UBU
When I was in fifth grade my older brother got a new dog to replace Buster.  He named him Ubu.  He got the name Ubu from the tv production company that had several tv shows on in the 80's. Do you remember the phrase, "Sit Ubu Sit...Good Boy"?  Ubu was a mix of golden retriever and german shepherd.  He was a very strong dog who loved to jump on people.  He also liked to drag my Barbies around the back yard by the hair.  One of my most favorite memories of him was sitting in the laundry room in the evening while he was in his bed and rubbing his ears and talking with him.  The end of his life was a hard one to watch because he became blind and then began to loose the use of his legs.  The night I said goodbye to him was fall of 1999.  I was twenty-five and I sat next to his box and rubbed his ears and had a talk with him.  The thought of it now still brings tears to my eyes.  About a week later my brother took him to the vet and said his own goodbyes to Ubu.

SCOUT
July of 1999 I got Scout.  I picked him up from a local no kill shelter.  He is a Walker Coon Hound / Beagle mix - white with tan spots and tan ears.  Scout has a very special place in my heart and that of my husband's.  He became our first dog.  Now this our thing we did not know about when I first picked Scout out because I had not yet met Mike.  I met Mike the following week.  But now 11 1/2 years later, Scout is our dog ~ our first child.  Scout is a well traveled dog.  While Mike  lived in Florida, Scout made the trek up and down I-95 with me, and then up and down I-77 when Mike moved to Charlotte.  He always traveled well in the car and like to sit up front.  He never jumped around or barked or went nuts in the car.  He is always relaxed and just enjoyed the ride by looking out of the window.  People often comment to me that from a distance he looked like a person from behind.    For many years Scout went to my parents for doggie day care.  Everyday I would drop Scout off before work and pick him up after.

Scout is a great dog and loves people.  I think he likes people more than other animals.  His favorite activity is to lounge around on the couch looking out the window / sleeping.  Last winter we had a scare and thought for a weekend that we would have to put Scout to sleep.  Fortunately it turned out to be fixable because I do not think Mike or I were ready to say good-bye (not that one is ever ready).  I hope for a few more quality years with him.

SNAPPY

In 2007 Mike and I decided on another dog.    We went back to the no kill shelter I got Scout from and came home with Snappy.  My daughter Maddie named him.  He is also a hound mix and is a very sweet dog.  However, Snappy is full of energy that at times can be exasperating.  He is also very loyal and is always under my feet.  Snappy does not like to be far from me when we are in the house.  If we would let him, Snappy would become a 70 pound lap dog.


1 comment: