Tuesday, February 5, 2013

12 Hugs a Day

A US family therapist, Virgina Satir, would often make the startling claim: "We need 4 hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth.”

When I was in elementary school this was posted in my school's weekly newsletter. My mom read it and we instituted our twelve hug a day ritual. Everyday up until I entered middle school we set aside time each day (just a minute or two) to exchange 12 hugs.

As I watch my kids grow (way too fast for me personally) I have decided this will be our new family ritual. My way to connect in our over connected world.

What I have found is that the twelve hugs bring lots of laughter and often turns into group hugs. Also each child is a different type of hugger. Jake is a tackler. Be prepared to be knocked over when he gives you a hug. Katie is a bear hugger . She wants to wrap her arms around you and holds on tight for each and every hug. Maddie who is entering "tween"hood has become a side hugger who is almost embarrassed by it, but by the twelfth hug she is enjoying it as much as the rest of us.

So maybe twelve hugs a day can keep the doctor away and keep us connected a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment